* The Asian elephant is smaller than its African cousin, their ears are smaller and only the males have tusks.
* The average adult elephant weighs between 2.5-5 tons.
* The average height of an Asian elephant is 10 feet
* The trunk has up to 100,000 muscles
* They are vegetarian mostly eating foliage, bananas, bamboo, sugarcane, grass, berries and shrubs
* An adult eats 400 lbs of food a day, approximately 10% of its body weight and consumes 50 gallons of water
* They eat for 20 hours a day
* They sleep only 3-4 hours a night, mostly standing
* Gestation period is 22 months
* Cows usually give birth every two to four years
* At birth, elephants weigh 200 lbs and stand about 3 feet tall
* Elephants reach a breeding age about 15 years old
* The Asian elephant lives to about 75 years old
* Their brains are 5 times the size of humans
* The elephants sweat glands are in their feet
* Showering dirt and mud over themselves helps protect them from the sun and keep cool
* Elephants flap their ears to cool themselves. Blood flows through the vessels in their ears and when the ears flap, the blood gets cooled
Every little bit counts
Every dollar raised goes to the elephants. Your donations are used to feed the elephants a mix of sugarcane, bananas and grass and on special occasions they're given fruit (their favorites are watermelon, apples, pineapple). A portion of your donations are also used to help fund two permanent veterinarians who provide preventative and emergency care for the elephants.
Help is needed to care for them, their mahouts and their families. This includes up to 600lbs of food and 60 gallons of water a day, along with permanent veterinary care which amounts to $1000 a month. Your contribution, however large or small, will be combined with others from people like yourself to sponsor Pumpui and her friends to ensure the well being of each elephant through funding their food, care and veterinary care.
There's two forms of donations.